nafex - [NAFEX] raspberries

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberries
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:40:26 -0500

I liked fluffy's recs.  Home growers don't use herbicides, generally, and aren't likely to diligently water, which, as was said, makes all the difference.  The difference being that for many Heritage is still a great raspberry because they tend to neglect their gardens during periods of drought and don't diligently stay on top of weeds.  Wow, this is beginning to sound like an autobiography.  In fact, Heritage is the only raspberry remaining on my property after trying all the mentioned varieties here.  To me raspberries just aren't worth all that much work when you're growing a wide range of fruit.

Anyway, Heritage is the toughest most durable raspberry I've ever grown, by far.  Here in the northeast the birds aren't very interested in raspberries by Sept., except wild turkeys that harvest low-lyers, so the harvest is mostly yours and the yellow jackets.

Fluffy mentioned growing primocanes only, for fall berries which I assume means he mows them after fall but I have found that my stands are much more durable if I don't do this.  If I mow the weeds will take over and the canes become weak.  The meager summer harvest I get is a foragers treat, but not much use for preserves.