nafex - Re: [NAFEX] raspberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] raspberries
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:29:07 -0600

Normally, a home grower ... you attempt to spread your harvest over a period
of time,...

As a home grower, I'll point out one disadvantage to this. If your berries all come ripe at once, you have a chance of getting some for yourself before all the birds in the neighborhood discover the banquet. Once they discover the feast, this becomes very difficult. (This also applies to squirrels, if it's a fruit they like. I don't usually have them bothering my raspberries.)

I've got a black raspberry patch in the backyard that was started, as a single seed-grown plant, by the birds. They bear a fine crop with little work, and they are absolutely delicious. Normally, I get more and more bird trouble as they continue to produce, until the birds get just about every one at the end of the season. But by then, I've had lots of delicious berries.

Last year, I had a couple of plants which were apparently of a different variety. They had larger berries (though not nearly as tasty), and they bloomed and ripened later than the others. But by then, the birds already knew about the raspberry patch. I ended up covering the berries on each plant with a nylon bootie, or I wouldn't have even known what they tasted like. (I'm going to get rid of them this year.)

I also have an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry which bore fruit for the first time last year, but I didn't get a single berry, since they don't bear all at once. Extending the harvest sounds like a great idea for a home grower, but unless you can keep the birds and animals completely away, they'll get to the fruit first. If it all comes ripe at once, they'll eat some of it, but not all.

So far, that's been my experience, anyway.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. - W. C. Fields