nafex - [NAFEX] raspberries

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberries
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:43:35 -0800

It was so queried:

I'm in zone 5. We're looking at a red raspberry and a purple one, and
maybe a golden one. We haven't decided exactly which yet. Maybe
Heritage and Royalty, and possibly Anne.

My reply:

In evaluating raspberries you want to consider soil type, management, and
ripening time in conjunction with zone. I am not sure why color matters
unless you intend to have 3 varieties that ripen at the same time. Normally,
a home grower (perhaps that is the key, maybe this is for a commercial
endeavor?) you attempt to spread your harvest over a on period of time,
unless you want a freezing variety in which case you double or triple up on a
variety for that season.

As a rule everbearers are much easier to handle(if managed as mono-croppers)
but they are late in the season relative to most varieties.

You might wish to strongly look at Caroline as an everbearer that has had
success in many soil type s and locations. Heritage is also a very proven
Everbearer that has much to recommend it. But once again consider soil types
and management. I think at this point if I had to chose, given yoru zone I
would take Caroline over Heritage for an everbearer.

Taylor is an awesome late season raspberry that I would recommend everyone
grow who has decent soil and can deal with the hassle of a summerbearer. I
have let my land go fallow for 5 years now, while I wait to replant Taylor.
We have missed it, but I have only so much land.

The reality is my summer bearers tend to burn out in 7-10 years, I have never
had that problem with an everbearer and mine are going on 15 years or so.
But I manage the everbearers as mono-croppers. I have heard tales of 25
years with Heritage from homegrowers.

If you have rich soil (maybe in dappled shade) I like Fall Gold. Once again
an everbearer.

tfb

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====