nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How many berries

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <jcooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How many berries
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:05:21 -0800

We probably have about 50 plants, and get 5-10 gallons of red raspberries
each year. These are an unknown variety, we just got the strays from a
friend. They always expand and send roots out into the space around and make
more plants. So we got ours free! they are thornless and great fruit.

My wife said that the 50 pts. would take about 6 gallons of fruit, but that
also depends on what recipe you use, how much sugar you want to use? Most
will double the amount with the added sugar. Our favorite is freezer jam with
a somewhat reduced sugar content.

Jim Cooper
Lewiston High School
Automotive Technology
208-748-3213
jcooper@lewiston.k12.id.us

>>> Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com> 02/15/09 5:45 PM >>>
My husband and I are planning to plant some raspberries this spring.
We were so merrily laying out the bed for 50 plants, and then my
husband asked me, "How many berries is this going to produce?"

And I realized I had no idea. We are only two people, but we love
raspberry jam and could easily consume 50 pints of it in a year. But
will 50 bushes yield way too much?

Diane Porter
dporter@birdwatching.com
Birdwatching Dot Com
http://www.birdwatching.com
Birdwatching is your lifetime ticket to the theater of nature.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----
to change other email options):