nafex - Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:41:48 -0600

At 09:10 AM 12/12/2008, you wrote:
Living in east TN about 25 years ago I kept hearing people talk about the
old 'Rusty Coat' apple and how much they liked them. I never got my hands
on one till we visited Jeff Poppen's place one fall and he had some from a
tree he'd grafted. They were awful. He said he only knew one person who
liked them. Maybe he'd only found a seedling from one of the real thing.

Interesting. I'd been just about to throw out a question about 'Rusty Coat', as I'd not seen it mentioned in this discussion on russets.
I had it, years ago, when I had 'antique-itis' as Ed or Don termed it. It never survived my (mis)management long enough o fruit. Scions came from Tim Hensley's Urban Orchard Nursery, if I remember correctly.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY