nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chieftain

  • From: "Judson Frisk" <jlfrisk@iowatelecom.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chieftain
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:31:12 -0600

Naomi     I do not believe that there is a mail order source for it.  I made mine at a grafting seminar put on by Iowa State University, who developed the variety.  I believe that it is a cross between Jonathan and Red Delicious.  It has been better disease and insect resistant than Jonathan which has always been an insect and disease vector.  Its slick skin helps it keep better than other varieties.  Many of my friends come to pick it as it is their favorite apple in my orchard. (I have about 50 different varieties.)  It has nice size, dark red color and an annual bearing habit.  It tends to have a twiggy growth habit so it isn’t the easiest tree to prune.  Usually a heavy bearer but for me most fruit are medium to large size.  If you want and remind me I could send you some scions this spring.

Judson L. Frisk