nafex - Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:10:13 -0500

On Dec 11, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

It's gotten a bit slow here so it seems a good time to renew the frequently brought up subject of relative merits of apple varieties- this time I'd like to focus on russets. The reason for this is that I'm relatively inexperienced growing russets and am interested in other members experience.

I've had Golden Russet, Roxbury Russet, and Ashmeands' Kernal. Golden Russet is good, very sweet, otherwise not terribly exciting. Roxbury Russet was a little grainy and had a slightly off or strange flavor when I had it. I'd heard glowing reports about it, but decided not to try to grow it after that. Maybe I just had a bad one. Ashmeads' Kernal is my family's favorite apple. Very sweet, very tart, very crunchy, and with a nice apple flavor. It's also small and ugly and sometimes lopsided, and I'm told it's a shy bearer. Alas, I can't seem to ripen them here in eastern Mass. because the critters eat them as soon as they are edible, and well before they are really good. (Plenty of time left in the season, just too much competition.)

Ginda