nafex - Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] russet apple varieties
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:40:31 -0600

My favorite russet is Ashmead's Kernel.  The fruit is hard, has an elegant sweet, spice flavor palate, stores well and is relatively disease tolerant.  I bag apples, so the apple rust doesn't bother the fruit.  My tree, on Bud 9, bore 2-1/2 bushels this October. The tree is four years old.  I also have Pitsmaston Pineapple and don't like it as much as Ashmead's.  Pitsmaston softens in storage and doesn't have the complexity of flavors that Ashmead's has.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Doreen Howard
Zone 4-b IL-WI Border, under a foot of snow cover already.