nafex - [NAFEX] apples for drying

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apples for drying
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:03:04 -0800 (PST)

I've been unhappy with the apples we dried this year - they were too tart
(Goldrush) or utterly bland and tasteless (mystery apple #2), and since we
have opportunity to put in a few more trees, I'd like suggestions for good
ones for drying. Ideally late, large, and disease resistant (although we've
had next to no disease problems with the apples, just lots of worms)

The online resources I found don't seem to talk much about drying - unless
that's counted under "cooking"?

The new tress will be semidwarf, and have to deal with clay soil, blackberry
roots, and summer heat and sun, and it's along a road some distance from the
house, so might get some pilferage - a less beautiful apple might be less
tempting.

Lisa in Oregon
USDA zone 7 - Sunset zone 7 - 1800'