nafex - Re: [NAFEX] lemon juice substitute - Rumex spp.

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] lemon juice substitute - Rumex spp.
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:54:20 -0600

I'm not sure how far north the best of the trifoliate crosses will go, but I have plenty of seeds of a citrus called Roundleaf (Sanford citrange x changsha mandarin) originally called sancichang # 10 by Dr Brown who made the cross.

I would guess it could be hardy to zero degrees F--perhaps more perhaps less. It is sour and if you stay away from the skin which has some trifoliate gum cells, has a juice that is basically sour and edible enough. I use it here where tasty things grow as a decoy plant to keep sidewalk visitors from hopping the fence and don't eat it. The fruit looks a bit like a Seville orange. That is somewhat like an orange. I have neighbors who come back and pick it every year, so it is certainly decent enough.

Bob Randall
Houston