nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince flavor

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince flavor
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:13:32 -0600

I picked a couple of Cydonia quinces from a neglected bush, they had big dark rotting places, so I had to cut out a lot. I cooked them in combination with some other stuff, probably sweet potatoes, but the texture, flavor and aroma were superb. (I have taken cuttings already. ) Incidentally, Hidden Springs Nursery has a plant of Meech's Prolific even though it's not in their catalog lately. It's supposed to be more disease resistant than most.
When I asked about the problem of fireblight in quinces for rootstock for pear, Annie Black said quince has it's problems, but in their location fireblight doesn't seem to be one of them. They have not only the heat and humidity that I contend with, but also poor air circulation. I saw Housui pears down there with horrific fireblight, think they died outright from it. My problem now is that the damned mayhaws that bloom too early anyway have been spreading quince rust among the zillions of cedars on the property. I'm thinking that I can chop them off, graft on quince which will take at least 2 years to bloom (apparently with quince only the fruit are affected) and maybe give the CQR some time to start dying out. Meanwhile I can track down some of the rust resistant cedar cultivars and learn to graft them, so we can both have our scenery and eat it too. Otherwise I have the choice of quince to eat but no cedars, or cedars but no quince. Donna