nafex - [NAFEX] Quince flavor

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Quince flavor
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:11:43 -0500

I just tried some Cydonia oblonga quince that I purchased at the grocery
store. They were very yellow, firm and aromatic. I stewed them with a
small amount of sugar. I was so disappointed in the stewed fruit. It
was firm, but insipid, and tasteless, much less flavor than either the
stewed pears or apples that I have tried.

In contrast, I had a bumper year for Chaenomeles, spp. quince years ago,
which I prepared in a similar manner. They seemed harder and had a
stronger smell uncooked, but I remember the cooked product as delicious,
aromatic and flavorful.

Is my experience typical?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC