nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach crop

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach crop
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:01:45 -0500

Plant your peach pits as soon as possible in garden soil in a spot that they can remain undisturbed for a year or so.  Make sure to protect them from squirrels etc.  I have a bed by the garden for seedlings, and try to protect them with upside down “V” shaped fencing, made of 1x2 mesh steel fence about 2 feet wide, cut in 7 foot lengths (so I get 7 pieces just over 7 feet long from a 50 foot roll).  After they come up (next spring) I put hardware cloth  cylinders around them.  They should grow, if they haven’t dried out too much yet.  Will you get productive peach trees? Maybe.  That’s what makes this so much fun.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI, cold side of zone 4

From: Toni Pralle

My Reliance produced 50+ peaches on half the tree after it had drown, froze, cooked, froze again, learned how to float, and dried out to the point I was watering it. I am thrilled beyond words! The peaches were yummy! I put the last of them in the freezer tonight. Now I have these peach pits just laying on the counter...........where do I plant them! When? How! I'm in Iowa if it makes a difference. And will they grow? (And I ordered two more trees from Gurney's because I think that's where this one came from.)
--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA