nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach crop

  • From: "C. Waite Maclin" <waite8@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach crop
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 06:07:32 -0400

I cut down a Reliance 3 years ago. A volunteer this year produced amazing peaches.

May I also recommend a new peach from FEDCO. The Lars Anderson Peach. VERY hearty, delicious fruit. It was propagated by MOFGA from leaves of an old tree planted by my father-in-law 30 years ago. His name, of course is Lars Anderson. We named the tree in the FEDCO catalogue after him and are very proud of the results.

Waite Maclin, Zone 5.

On Sep 6, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Toni Pralle wrote:

>By the way, my Reliance peach had a bumper crop this year.

   Peter Drevniok, Gatineau, Quebec - zone  5.>

My one surviving peach tree not only had the 27 baby peaches I counted earlier in the summer..........it produced over 50! I know the chickens/birds got some because I saw the pits on the ground. I had planted two different varieties, Reliance and Contender but one struggled so this spring leafing out and flowering I cut it down about 2 feet off the ground. I had hoped It would shoot some new growth but it didn't. Now there is growth coming from the root. Are those grafted or should I let this new growth turn into a tree? I think the survivor is the Reliance and the cut down one is the Contender. I am SO tempted to plant another Reliance. My gardening success for the past 2 or 3 years has been dismal. Between the rabbits and the late spring blizzards all my trees resemble bushes.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.