nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach crop

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach crop
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:47:49 -0500

Toni Pralle wrote:

"My one surviving peach tree not only had the 27 baby peaches I counted earlier in the summer..........it produced over 50! I know the chickens/birds got some because I saw the pits on the ground. I had planted two different varieties, Reliance and Contender but one struggled so this spring leafing out and flowering I cut it down about 2 feet off the ground. I had hoped It would shoot some new growth but it didn't. Now there is growth coming from the root. Are those grafted or should I let this new growth turn into a tree? I think the survivor is the Reliance and the cut down one is the Contender. I am SO tempted to plant another Reliance. My gardening success for the past 2 or 3 years has been dismal. Between the rabbits and the late spring blizzards all my trees resemble bushes."

Hi Toni,

Typically peaches won't grow new shoots from beheaded wood.  Their different from other fruit trees in that they need visible buds to grow new shoots (I learned this the hard way too.)  Since virtually all peaches are propagated by grafting, all you have left is a rootstock.  I wouldn't let the rootstock grow into a peach tree unless you wanted to try to regraft it.  Rootstocks typically produce inferior quality fruit.

Instead of getting another Reliance peach, you may want to consider Paul Friday's 24c.  I've not grown the 24c, but I do have Reliance, and that's what I base my recommendation on, mostly.  I know Reliance is one of the few peaches some northern Nafexers can grow, but it's such poor quality I couldn't recommend it.  The peach is small, and gets soft so quickly.  It isn't especially tasty, and it's flesh is stringy.

Dennis Norton, who occasionally contributes to this group has tried 24c of the Flamin Fury series, and he said one year, it was the only variety that fruited on one of his plots.  The cold got the rest of them.  He's quite a bit farther north than you.

Here's some info, if you want to read about it.

Mark
KS