nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach crop

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach crop
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:28:10 -0500

It could be my tree is mislabeled. Let me give you a bit more of a
description so as to be able to determine if we're talking about the same
variety tree. I got this Reliance from Burnt Ridge, planted spring 2006. My
Reliance was also loaded with blossoms (non-showy). It bloomed later than
all my other varieties (about a week later than most). I thinned it hard
after petal fall and thinned some more a few weeks later, as I did other
varieties. Like yours, mine also ripened before Redhaven, about a week
before.

No, Mark, it sounds like they're the same. Mine was slightly later blooming than the others (three days after the Redhaven and Intrepid, and five days after Hardired Giant Nectarine), and they were non-showy blossoms. It gets slightly more sun than the Redhaven, which might account for the larger size here. And I thought the color was good, but it just looked like a peach. Heh, heh. I didn't pay much attention, really.

As far as being 'stringy,' I didn't notice that, but I didn't peel them. I did notice that Redhaven seemed firmer, easier to cut up, but Reliance seemed to be more what I expected in a peach. I was very happy with them, but then I GREW MY OWN PEACHES! Heh, heh. I *would* be happy, wouldn't I? I liked them (slightly) better than the Redhaven, but after all, I ate them first.

If it was the only tree ripened peach I'd ever eaten, I'd rave about it.

Yeah, Alan, you've probably got it right. I'd never even seen a peach tree before I grew these, so maybe I'm not as discriminating as the rest of you. But I'm happy enough with them, so I guess that's the important thing. Still, as a complete newbie, I'm not the best judge of peaches!

The amount of sugar and other issues of quality in a peach can be greatly affected by soil, weather, and especially sun exposure as most of you probably know so it should not come as a surprise that the same cultivar would perform differently in different locations.

Good point! My four trees are planted in one hole, basically. My neighbor's garage is to the southeast, which shades the Redhaven a bit in the morning (that one is planted 18" to the southeast of the others). My Reliance peach is on the northwest, so it gets the full west sun.

Bill

--
I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers