nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 02:57:43 GMT

I made some wild plum syrup a number of years ago, decided that it was too astringent to eat, and put it on the shelf.  Last winter I tried some... I don't know if my tastes have changed that much, or if aging helped, but I thought it was great (in moderation!).   I mentionned the astringency to someone at the farmers' market, and she said that when they were making wild plum jellies and jams when she was growing up they boiled the fruits with lots of baking soda for a few hours before the actual jamming.  It didn't sound very healthful,  but I thought that I'd like to try it if I get enough plums this year to see what happens.

Muffy Barrett
South-central Wisconsin