nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:05:44 -0500

Diane,
Use the jam you've already made to make wine. It'll be cloudy but good. The fruit will settle out but there will be a pectin haze unless you use enzymes to remove it. We never bother with appearance of our wine though. If even the wine is too astringent, use it in blending with more boring wines such as apple and peach. Use the remaining plums, skins and all, at a rate of no more than 1 qt per gallon plus 4 and 1/2 c sugar. You'll probably do better to use the plums at a lower rate than that, mixed with apples or peaches. You can run the fruit content way up if using apples or pears. I used to fill a gallon jar half full of apples run in the food processor, add water and yeast, let it work and strain in 4 or 5 days. You have to keep stirring the stuff while the fruit's in it to keep mold from growing. Plum is my absolute favorite wine. No worry about losing that special aroma, it'll be there, along with all kind of nuances. Donna