nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:51:13 -0700

You might want to try some different techniques in very small batches, or
just sweeten the juice/puree and see what it's like before committing
yourself to a batch - some things you might try:

Do you have access to a cider/grape press? That can bypasses skin/pit/stem
flavors pretty well;
Steam juicer? You may well have the same problem;
Are the pits small enough you could cook the fruit until just soft and put
it through a food mill? If you don't have a food mill, you can fill a
colander and press the pulp through with the bottom of a ladle;
You could try a cherry pitter first. The thing is, and this might be good,
a cherry pitter used on small domestic plums will tend to take out the pit
with all the pulp attached - thus skinning the fruit (this depends on size
and variety). Somewhere I have a prune/plum pitter, good for olives,
pitting prunes, and skinning small plums. If you search for such a thing -
they're hard to find - get an all-metal one. With a standard cherry pitter,
depending on design, the pulp may squeeze out with the pit and get stuck in
the pitter.

This is something I've thought about - I have a plum tree with fruit that
sounds exactly like yours. I've made very nice jellies from other
sour-skinned plums, but these skins have a bitter flavor that might be a
problem. I didn't try processing them this year, but had this list of
methods in mind for next year. None of this may work - there's a reason for
the phrase "for the birds."

~ Stephen