nafex - [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:09:33 -0500

I picked some wild plums that for the first time have ripened nicely. The skins are sour and astringent, but the juice is sweet and fragrant like flowers. I made some jam by nicking the skins, boiling the fruits, and squeezing out the juice.

Oh my, was it astringent! Clearly the skins ruined the jam.

I still have enough plums to try again, but how to go about it... The fruits are so small that it's not practical to skin them. Any thoughts on how to preserve the goodness and avoid the astringency of these lovely fruits?

Thanks,

Diane Porter, Fairfield, Iowa