nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Two Questions

  • From: abb7@Lehigh.EDU
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Two Questions
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:37:55 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:25:57 -0500
From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
Subject: [NAFEX] Two Questions
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

I asked this question last year or the year before, but I didn't record the >answer. How do you tell when an Asian pear is ready to pick? My 2-1 tree is >loaded with Korean Giants and Shinseikis.

Someone on gardenweb told me about this trick last year, my first year for Asian pears (Shinko): Go out at night with a flashlight, and hold the light right up to the back of the pear pear. Before it is ripe, it will be pretty much opaque. When it is ripe, it will glow. Worked great for me last year

Alex