nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:40:43 -0400

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:
Bill, I won't try to talk you into blackberries, since you're at a stage
that planting one thing means giving up something else (we all reach that
phase at some point). But I will confirm your supermarket experience with
blackberries probably doesn't compare with home grown blackberries. Picked
full ripe blackberries can be as sweet, as fresh home grown peaches. Maybe
you just don't like blackberry flavor. But if you like blackberry jelly/jam
you would probably be fond of fresh blackberries. I think you mentioned you
grow black raspberries. Blackberries are MUCH sweeter than black
raspberries. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I don't like black
raspberries. I've tried wild blackcaps and domesticated blackcaps, and like
neither. To me, black raspberries taste as if they have a hint of hard
boiled egg. However, my daughter prefers blackcaps to blackberries. I
don't understand this, but neither can I understand how my wife and son like
pickled artichokes. Each to his own.

Mark
KS

I was going to stay out of this but, as the discussion continues, I'll have to throw in my comments.
I've lived in the Adirondacks for 30 years now where we have red raspberries and blackberries. I grew up in central Ohio where we had lots of black raspberries and quite a few blackberries. I remember really enjoying the black raspberries but the blackberries were not worth picking, to my taste anyway.
Same thing here. The red raspberries are pretty good but I have no urge to eat the blackberries. I wonder if I would like some of the top quality cultivated blackberries? I suspect not.
By the way, in Ohio the blackberries grew on tall plants. Here they are short, arched vines that must get pushed down and covered by snow. It's about 3 zones colder here than where I came from. (What was I thinking???)

Steve