nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:36:14 -0500

Bill, I won't try to talk you into blackberries, since you're at a stage
that planting one thing means giving up something else (we all reach that
phase at some point). But I will confirm your supermarket experience with
blackberries probably doesn't compare with home grown blackberries. Picked
full ripe blackberries can be as sweet, as fresh home grown peaches. Maybe
you just don't like blackberry flavor. But if you like blackberry jelly/jam
you would probably be fond of fresh blackberries. I think you mentioned you
grow black raspberries. Blackberries are MUCH sweeter than black
raspberries. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I don't like black
raspberries. I've tried wild blackcaps and domesticated blackcaps, and like
neither. To me, black raspberries taste as if they have a hint of hard
boiled egg. However, my daughter prefers blackcaps to blackberries. I
don't understand this, but neither can I understand how my wife and son like
pickled artichokes. Each to his own.

Mark
KS