nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:18:29 -0700

I have never bought either blackberries or blueberries in a store, but I grow my own blackberries and have U-picked blueberries.

The commercial blueberries grown in farms are sweet, but have little or none of the flavor of the wild berries I have eaten in the Cascade Range on hiking trips.

I raise Cascade blackberries, a trailing type that has the wonderful rich flavor of the little wild trailing blackberries of the Pacific Northwest. It is thorny, but I wear a heavy leather glove on my left hand to push away canes and pick with my bare right hand. The berries are too juicy and delicate to pick with gloves. They have to be picked at the moment of ripeness. Sometimes I have left ripe ones till the next day and found those berries turned moldy overnight.

I don't know if these trailing berries would grow in other parts of the country.

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon

At 11:21 AM 8/8/2008, Bill wrote:

> Why isn't there more blackberry hype?

Well, Mark, I ended up buying blackberries once in the grocery store.
They were just like little lemons! I don't mean that they were just a
little sour. As far as I could tell, that was the ONLY taste. I sure
couldn't get excited about blackberries from that experience!

Now, I understand that store-bought fruit is usually lousy, but I love
the blueberries I buy. I'm sure tempted to try to grow my own. But I
haven't been at all tempted to try blackberries (not sure if they'll
grow here, anyway).

Maybe too many other people have had experiences like that.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of
tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----

Please do not send binary files.