nafex - [NAFEX] Peculiar black raspberry

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peculiar black raspberry
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:27:37 -0500

Last year, I had a black raspberry cane that bore fruit late. I asked about it here and was told about 'crown laterals.' Sure enough, the cane died over the winter, and there was nothing unusual about that plant this year.

And I had two more of those crown lateral canes this year, from different plants. But I also had two canes - from one plant - that seem to be something different yet. They seemed to be the 'normal' crown laterals at first, though slightly later in development. The berries were big, but still green when I was removing the old canes from the patch. (The birds had definitely discovered the raspberry patch by then, so I covered the fruit with nylon booties.)

When ripe, the fruit was bigger than the raspberries in the rest of my patch (all of which was planted by the birds, so this could easily be a different bird-planted variety), though it wasn't as tasty. It wasn't bad, just not up the the really great raspberry taste of the others. But what's really odd is that both fruiting canes had vigorous green shoots growing from about halfway up the cane. I've certainly never seen that with any other fruiting raspberry cane.

I just checked them again. The berries are long since picked, of course. But one of these canes has two vigorous, growing shoots, from half-way up the cane, that are more than two feet long (although they look vigorous, they don't appear to be growing all that quickly - of course, it's been very dry here lately). The other has two shorter shoots - less than a foot long, I guess - but one of those has blooming flowers on the end!

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I don't imagine these are anything unusual. I'm sure they're just a different variety of raspberry, another one planted by the birds. But they seem to be quite different from the rest of mine. I don't know what to expect from those growing shoots.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
This war diminishes our security, our standing in the world, our military, our economy, and the resources that we need to confront the challenges of the 21st century. By any measure, our single-minded and open-ended focus on Iraq is not a sound strategy for keeping America safe. - Sen. Barack Obama

  • [NAFEX] Peculiar black raspberry, William C. Garthright, 08/08/2008