nafex - [NAFEX] cutting back tops after root pruning

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cutting back tops after root pruning
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:36:16 -0400

I'd like to offer a different opinion then the posted suggestion of cutting back the branches of a potted fig tree after damaging (pruning) its root system. This is in the context of a potted tree that is allowed to spread it rooots in the ground underneath its pot. It has been well researched by Carl Whitcomb and others that trees with reduced root systems usually don't recover more affectively when top pruned to compensate.

In the case of a fruit tree, reduced root tends to lead to greater fruitfulness while reduced top leads to more vegetative growth.  I reduce the top to stimulate growth only when I desire more vegetative growth.  My fig trees never respond to root pruning with substantial die-back of branches.  I suggest you study this yourself by leaving roots unpruned and watch the results.

Alan Haigh, Home Orchard Co. Zone 6, Southeastern NY