nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:44:20 -0500

This is puzzling.  Fruit Grower News indicated blueberry production is expected to expand, in the near future, more than any other fruit.  As indicated by the article Sam posted, they are even growing them in Utah.  I can understand their popularity, they are tasty.  What I don't understand is why growers aren't putting in more blackberries.  Around here, blackberries sell for quite a bit more than blueberries.  At the grocers, they sell California blackberries in a little 6 oz. container for $2.50, equating to $7.50 per #.  The blackberries didn't even look that good.  Blueberries sell for $2.00 per # at the same store.

I know a blackberry grower who goes to a farmer's market and sells out in the first hour, charging $3.75 per #.  He is thinking about buying blackberries from out of state in order to sell more.

We've been giving them away.  One lady, whom we gave some to, called back and wanted to buy some.  She said the place that she normally buys them was sold out.  We ended up selling blackberries without even trying.

Why isn't there more blackberry hype?

Mark
KS