nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

This is an interesting point. Blackberries for processed markets in Oregon
are entirely machine harvested while blueberries for processed markets are
also entirely machine harvested. Fresh markets for both are hand-picked
here. Even the firmest highbush blueberries are considered borderline for
machine harvestable for fresh market use although some growers are
experimenting with this. Blueberries definitely ship better than
blackberries, but I think it mostly goes back to higher yields/acre and
higher price per pound to blueberry growers than blackberry growers.

There will always be a niche market for fresh blackberries in some areas and
this will cause prices to be locally higher. On the large commercial scale
and worldwide market, however, blueberries definitely have the edge.

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com
phainopepla@yahoo.com