nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ladder Recommendations

  • From: Neil Hochstedler <neilho@innevi.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Scott Williamson" <ScottW@acespower.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ladder Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:19:30 -0400

My favorite ladders: An 8' three legged wood stepladder on small, delicate
trees. It's a bit tricky to learn to set in a stable manner, but since it
doesn't have to lean on the tree causes less damage and is usefull for
those just out of reach branches that have nowhere to place a long ladder.
On the 16' trees, I use a 20' ladder- split spruce rails joined at the top
in a peak with ash rungs. Over the course of a long day of picking and a
hundred or two ladder placements, its light weight and easy maneuverability
save a lot of effort. It's fragile, so isn't a good ladder for a crew
situation. But for someone who's carefull, it's nearly perfect.

Look locally for both ladders. Due to their height, they'd both have to be
shipped by truck, making delivery expensive. Think about having a local
woodworker make them, or making them yourself, if you're handy with wood.

Neil