nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ladder Recommendations

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ladder Recommendations
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:40:11 -0400

Scott, we built a really nice stepladder last weekend and I used it this week to graft. It works really well, so I am speaking from practical experience.

Basically you build a ladder with 2X3, 8 feet long where the width of the base is twice the width of the top. You place steps at 12 inches interval on one side. Each step (also 2X3) is a different length so each have to be measured separately. Drill two holes at each end of the steps, so use 4 long screws (2 at each end) for solidity. Then on the other side you place a full length 2X3 attached in the middle of the second last step from the top with a solid hinge.

You get a very solid tripoid that you can open more or less depending on the situation and the height you want to achieve. I use one small square piece of plywood on one side in some cases to even the ladder side on the ground. The 2X3 that holds the ladder up digs into the ground as you go up and the structure is remarquably stable and light enough to be transported easily.

Hélène, zone 3-4