nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rope

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rope
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:39:43 -0300

My own experience with both nylon rope and wire inside old hose is that Mr.
Garthright is correct: in areas with a lot of wind (coastal Nova Scotia, in
my case), 12
gauge wire breaks after a year because of the constant flexing. The nylon
rope lasts
much better. But neither is totally kind to the bark, because the tie is
constantly
rubbing against the bark and abrading it. If one uses 2 or 3 supports per
tree, and
fastens the tree with loose ties, just to restrain it from bending too far in
any direction,
there is no problem. But if one is trying to pull it back up straight, when
it has bent
over from the wind, for example, (ie. there is a constant pressure on the
loop around
the trunk), the bark underneath does get indented. The good aspect of this
is that it
doesn't seem to matter, (at least so far), on my trees. I haven't developed
any
cankers or anything, which one might expect with damaged bark.