nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rope

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rope
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:40:33 -0500

The nylon rope lasts much better. But neither is totally kind to the bark,
because the tie is constantly rubbing against the bark and abrading it.

Hmm,... I wonder if I could put something around the bark first, to protect it? Something so the rope would slide on that and not directly on the bark? I can't think what would work and also stay put, though. I was looking at 5/8" in diameter rope (which won't fit in a garden hose), to provide the broadest possible surface area against the trunk, but... I just don't know.

But if one is trying to pull it back up straight, when it has bent over from
the wind, for example, (ie. there is a constant pressure on the loop around
the trunk), the bark underneath does get indented.

Mine would have constant pressure, since I've got the limbs tied down in the other direction. The rope *would* pull the tree back up straight, a bit. But I'd think this constant pressure would actually lessen the abrasion problem. Not so?

The good aspect of this is that it doesn't seem to matter, (at least so
far), on my trees. I haven't developed any cankers or anything, which one
might expect with damaged bark.

That's good to know. And mine are dwarf trees, that I want to keep as small as possible. So any other effect of the rope (limiting the nutrients further up the tree, perhaps?) might even be somewhat useful. But I don't want to create a canker or anything, of course.

Thanks for the info!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain