nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hoops for blueberry bird netting

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hoops for blueberry bird netting
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:36:20 -0500

we draped bird netting over our three 160 foot rows of bushes last year but
the bushes grew into the netting, so I'm thinking that we need some kind of
hoops or trellis to support the netting. I'm curious what other people do?

I had the same problem with my grapes last year. I had to cut the netting off at the end of the season. This year, I'll probably try a 't'-shape of PVC, fastened to the fence at intervals (and maybe with clothesline cable connecting the ends). Fence posts wouldn't be tall enough to keep the netting above the vines.

For low bushes, I might use permanent fence posts, with temporary rope or clothesline cable creating the structure to hold the netting (and I do like the idea of a low fence at the bottom). But in some cases, I'd like to be able to stand up under the netting, and that means PVC, again, to get the height. Of course, this is just in my backyard, so my situation is different from yours, but I can dismantle the PVC and easily store it between uses.

However, since I haven't actually done this, I don't know what size PVC would work best. Is 3/4" too floppy at 8' lengths? 1", maybe? Even that might not work in your case (I have a fence on which to fasten it). And I'm not sure how long it will last, unless I get the UV-resistant stuff. Well, I suppose I could paint it. I suppose I'll just experiment.

I don't know how you guys with lots of fruit do it, but I don't seem to get *anything* without a physical barrier to keep the critters away. But my backyard is now rabbit-proof, and I've just strung a low-power electric wire to discourage squirrels, raccoons, etc. I'll let you know how that works.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening. - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.