nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Flavor was Organic vs Standard Spray Programs

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Flavor was Organic vs Standard Spray Programs
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:36:52 -0700

Rivka,

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit an apple-packing warehouse near Yakima, Washington, in the heart of apple country.

They had a machine that graded and sorted apples by color - how much red they had. Big stores like Safeway would order a certain percentage of red, and apples meeting it were diverted into that store's shipment. There was no consideration of flavor, so apparently the stores did not care.

I can't really blame the farmers because they have to sell apples to make a living, but I do blame the stores for not making an effort to educate consumers.

Betty Mayfield
Oregon