nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Standard Spray Programs

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic vs Standard Spray Programs
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:58:58 -0500

Jim,

How many trees are you bagging?

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:14 AM
Subject: [NAFEX] Organic vs Standard Spray Programs

Dennis Norton wrote, quoting an IPM article from Cornell, "Pest control costs per bushel were $2.98 for fruit from the organic block compared with $0.76 for the standard."

Bagging apples costs me about $1.25 per bushel, including paid labor. This figure is actually less considering that we bag the apples when we thin them so my cost per bushel is skewed. Maybe someone should tell the Cornell people about bagging apples.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: