nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spring??

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spring??
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:29 -0500

>>Spring keeps coming
later and later but the weather stays nice longer in the fall. Last fall
we didn't have a frost until the last week of October. That's about a
month later than what I used to think was normal.>>

In the late 1980's a wonderful meteorologist moved to Knoxville TN from Indiana.   His name was John Gerard, and he was so popular that he stole all the local news audience and so the other 2 stations sent their weather twinkies to meteorology school to try to catch up.  He actually told you what the weather was doing.  He'd say something like, "There's this high pressure ridge here, and a front pushing down from the northwest.  What we THINK will happen is that in the wee hours the front will push the high pressure away and it will rain from about 7 am the rest of the day.  But if we're wrong, the rain may not arrive till afternoon."  So we didn't wake up, see the sun still shining and know nothing more except that the weatherman is an idiot.  We would actually know what to expect.
    Anyway, John Gerard said that for the last 30 years the springs had been getting cooler and the autumns warmer.  Mind you, that was 20 years ago that he said it, so it's been going on maybe for 50 years.  Seems like we had an early freeze several years ago, but then it stayed warm for months afterward.     Donna