nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control (Richard Moyer's)

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control (Richard Moyer's)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:31:17 -0500

Home orchardists have a few different options for controlling codling moths as we have seen from the various discussion over the past few weeks. We talked about using pheromone traps for monitoring to time insecticide sprays, or using them to "trap out" all the male moths. "Trapping out" is something that can work very well for the orchardists that have only a few trees. This involves using enough pheromone traps such that all of the male moths are captured before the female moths mate. Female moths are then able to lay only unfertilized eggs that will not develop. Typically, 2 to 4 traps per tree are required for this to be successful. This is less effective if there are additional sources of mated females, such as other trees in the neighborhood or wild hosts. To overcome this, the new CM/DA Combo Lure can be used to trap both male and female moths. i think I stated earlier that I was involved in testing some of these CM/DA lures 2 years ago. I use nothing but these now!

Traps should be put out at the pink stage of bud development. Every month, pheromone lures need to be replaced. If you are using the CM/DA Combo Lure, it will last for up to eight weeks. I change mine out of my monitoring traps at 6 weeks. Since you may also pick up other insects that inadvertently fly into the traps, codling moths can be distinguished from other insects in the traps by their bronze or copper colored wing tips.

For those needing only a few lures and traps and prefer to order over the internet, go to http://www.gemplers.com/insect-traps where you can find a host of IPM products. They are just slightly more expensive than Great Lakes IPM, but you can order on the spot and get the order within a few days. Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com