nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control (Richard Moyer's)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control (Richard Moyer's)
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:21:23 -0500

There is a pheromone twist tie mating disruptor that is a dual, codling moth
and oriental fruit moth that works quite well on both available at Great
Lakes IPM.

I didn't see that at the Great Lakes IPM, Dennis, but I did see that those kinds of things are sold in packages of 400 - and are far too expensive for a backyard grower. All of that pheromone stuff looks great, but it's clearly designed for commercial use. From my point of view, that's a shame, since I'm also severely limited in what kinds of sprays I can get.

Hmm,... those replacement lures are only a couple of bucks each. I wonder how well a homemade trap hung on each tree would work - not just as a indicator of activity, but as an alternative to spraying? Well, I might think about that next year. It might be worth trying.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I don't measure America by its achievement but by its potential. - Shirley Chisholm