nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sticky sphere body counts

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sticky sphere body counts
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:09:52 -0500

in my experience, the mason bees are wrapping up their lives by early june in the pacific northwest by the time i am getting the apple maggot traps out and sticky for the first hatchings in early july; i've never seen a mason bee on a sticky sphere.

Thanks, Karen. I didn't think of that (not having had fruit yet). It makes sense that something attracted to a ripe apple won't be out as early as the mason bees. (And I just realized that I wasn't thinking about spraying, either, when I put the bee tubes so close to my fruit trees. Duh!)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The practices of science themselves encode a set of values - a way of approaching the world, understanding it, and acting within it. At its core, it's a world view that is humble about what we know and don't know, flexible about what we do and don't decide to do, and open about admitting past mistakes and listening to contrary opinion. - Chris Mooney