nafex - [NAFEX] Sticky sphere body counts

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sticky sphere body counts
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 21:26:37 -0400

Bill,
We use January special red Christmas tree balls as our sticky spheres, covered in Tangletrap.
Most entrapped are flies, including the apple maggot adult, with a prominent, black zigzag on its otherwise clear wing.  We had achieved complete control with one sphere per apple tree, 10-12 trees total for 8 or so years.  Until our Pristine tree started bearing; it's a maggot magnet, but still the only cultivar thus damaged.
An occasional lacewing is caught on the spheres.
No honeybees in my recollection, though we do have a hive about 100 feet away.

Richard Moyer
East TN, SW VA
Passionfruit smoothies tonight.