nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kiwi cuttings—which end is up?

  • From: Dan Sorensen <botanydan0@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kiwi cuttings—which end is up?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 18:02:18 -0400

mIEKAL ,

I've had better than 50% success rooting dormant cuttings of A arguta and A kolomikta using perlite and keeping the tops cool until the base started to form callus. A little rooting hormone helped too. I tried A. deliciosa too, but the hairy stems didn't root as well for me.
As for the Russian names, Anna, formerly known as Ananasnaja is named for it's pineapple-like flavor. The Latin name for pineapple being Ananas.

Dan Sorensen

mIEKAL aND wrote:
Thanks for the answer Hal. I actually figured this out yesterday by looking a lot closer at my kiwis that are already in the ground. And after reading around the net, there seems to be a universal consensus that success rate for rooting dormant cuttings is typically very low.

I've scored the cuttings beneath the bottom node, doused in rooting hormone, put them on a propagation mat & cover the cuttings with plastic. Now to figure out what the russian names mean.

~mIEKAL