nafex - [NAFEX] Cut down apple trees?

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cut down apple trees?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:55:36 -0400

Another question is, how many seasons are these evaluations based on?  If it's less than 3 I'd be very suspicious- last year was a rare low curculio one over here in NY so I'd not base much on it.  It was also a low humid summer.  Even if you are disappointed in the varieties that certainly is no reason to cut them down.  If it's too late to graft new varieties this year, lop off some large branches and stick some new wood on some selected water sprouts next spring (easier for the beginner than cleft grafts and they grow like a bat out of hell).   If they are on dwarf rootstock than you might just replant if you don't mind the expense.