nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Copper spray timing when plants are not synchronized

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Copper spray timing when plants are not synchronized
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:29:13 -0400

Thank you Dennis!
-----nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org wrote: -----

To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
Sent by: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: 03/22/2008 02:42AM

Betsy,

Have you ever considered a Bordeaux mixture?  A mild Bordeaux mixture (2-6-100 or 3-3-100) can control blossom blight also.  Bordeaux can be in mixed in various formulas such as 10-10-100 or 8-8-100 plus superior oil.  The first number is the copper sulfate crystals.  The second number is hydrated lime.  The third number is water.  Superior spray oil can be used with the copper sulfate crystals only if the lime is also used.  The hydrated lime dilutes the phytotoxicity of the copper sulfate.  Under some weather conditions a mix may damage leaves or cause fruit to turn a russet color. I am including a mixture table for small quantities that should be suitable for most small scale uses.  The mixture must be agitated continuously. Do not apply mixes greater than 3-3-100 after 1/4-inch green leaf stage or when drying conditions are slow, as injury can occur.  Here's the recipe:

For 2-6-100 Bordeaux mixture:  (for less severe blight or later in the growth stage of tree)

4 tsp copper sulfate crystals
12 tsp hydrated lime
1 gal water
2 Tbsp spray oil

For 3-3-100 Bordeaux mixture: (for more severe blight or earlier in the growth stage of the tree)

6 tsp copper sulfate crystals
6 tsp hydrated lime
1 gal water
2 Tbsp spray oil

Dissolve copper sulfate crystals first. Mix in hydrated lime, constantly stirring. Finally, agitate the mixture as you add spray oil.

I hope this helps!