nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liberty apple

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liberty apple
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:07:11 -0400

In my limited experience of Macoun, it is anything but hard, super-crisp ("breaking") without being hard, the most attractive texture of any apple I know. The supermarket Honeycrisp I have eaten here in Ontario could be described as hard and don't have the extreme crispness of Macoun. I suspect that Honeycrisp is popular because most people have never eaten Macoun, and since Macoun is not grower-friendly they probably never will.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Alan Haigh wrote:

[snip]

Macintosh has a much more distinctive aroma, however and a special crunch which when hardened through breeding, became Macoun and then Honeycrisp, 2 apples the public generally finds vastly superior to Liberty.

[snip]