nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:00:09 -0500

I am new to the list, but would like to inquire about
knowledge regarding appropriate varieties of apple,
pear, plum, peach, apricot for organic growing
conditions in central New Jersey, or similar climate.
I would love to hear from folks who know of trials,
or have certain recommendations of their own. Also,
any information regarding more successful rootstocks
would be appreciated.

Welcome, Justin.
I'm not an organic orchardist - just a lazy one. I
don't fertilize or spray, and do minimal pruning.
In my experience, pears - both Asian & European
varieties, will do OK and produce mostly near-perfect
fruits, with these sort of minimal inputs.
The others on your list...in my orchard & under my
lack of inputs, have not panned out, for the most
part. I'll let others on the list who are inclined
to work for fruit production give you their
perspectives. LOL.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY