nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <ed.fackler@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Appropriate cultivars for organic production New Jersey
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:02:24 -0400

Justin:

     Lucky Pitman's comments (below) are most accurate most anywhere east of the Rockies due to extreme pressures from the collective pest complex.
I attempted "organics" back in the 70s/early80s on approx 3000 trees of apple, plum, peach, apricot, cherry and pear (around 150 cvs).  And while fruit protectant materials for organics has indeed evolved some since that time, all of them have extremely short residual activities (have to be applied at very tight intervals through out the pest cycles (early spring thru mid/late summer).

     Anyway this was my experience.

Ed, So. Indiana....near heaven....but also near (fruit growing) hell....