nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy kiwi homicide

  • From: Richard J.Ossolinski <ossoeo@verizon.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy kiwi homicide
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:14:24 -0400

Apparently written by Leslie Toombs and first printed in Pomona, this is quoted from the 1992 Kiwifruit Enthusiasts Journal Vol.6, p. 108:

"The northern kiwis, in particular the polygamas and kolomiktas, while while virtually pest free, stand in mortal danger from the common house cat.

Cats? Yes, the polygamas and kolomiktas apparently contain the same chemical constituents which put the nip in catnip. There are reports of cats biting the leaves, frothing at the mouth, and promptly shredding a plant to pieces. Cats rub against and wrench loose the Actinidia bark, and even stalk off with entire plants by the roots. In China, the polygama leaves' narcotic properties are used to sedate large cats in zoos and are infused in wine as a sedative for people."

Hey, I'm just the messenger.

Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5, where our cats never bothered the newly planted argutas or kolomiktas.