nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:10:03 -0500

I'm using the exact same system & it works well for me. I'm curious what you use to
hold the cable to the t-posts? I use 12 gauge wire & wrap around each post, which
means when I want to retighten the wires I have to unwrap & rewrap everything. I'd
like to find a somet doodad that attaches to the top of the t-posts that I could thread
the wire thru.

I just wrap the cable around each post. To be honest, I didn't want it free to move, because I thought slack would be a bigger problem that way (all the slack in the entire cable could be taken up at one spot). As it is, how much slack will there be in a four to six ft. span? Not enough to cause any problems, I'd think.

Also, if the cable does break at any location, I can just replace one short piece, not necessarily the whole thing. That was my thinking, anyway (not to mention that I have no more idea than you do about finding some kind of grommet doodad!).

My vines are up around 6 feet, hanging down. At the base of the trellissing
I've been planting, currants, lupines, daffodils, etc so I don't have to be
mowing these areas all of the time.

I didn't do that - not with edible plants, anyway - because I was worried about spraying my grapes. (I believe that someone on this list asked about planting strawberries beneath grapes, and that was the concern mentioned by more experienced growers.) As it turns out, though, I haven't needed to spray my grapes with anything. I suppose it's only a matter of time, though.

Bill

--
Skepticism is not a position but a determination to use science and reason in arriving at conclusions. Science is a methodology, not an ideology. Evidence prevails. - Kendrick Frazier