nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <JCooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:31:36 -0700

I built a trellis next to a fence for several grapevines. This will be the
3rd year fruiting. I put 4- 4"x4"x8' Treated posts in the ground and then put
a top cross bar of 4x4x3 fir'. I bracketed these with 2x4 at an angle and
used a metal cap on the post to attach to the cross bar. Then drilling the
cross bars through and strung 9 ga. galvanized wires (4) from end to end. I
thought I had these tight enough by attaching to a corner of a building and
to the fence on the other end. But I did not. I had to use a cable wench to
stretch them tight again last year. Now I may or may not have them tight
enough. They are holding up good, now and the effect is holding up the vines
above the 6' fence, with posts at about 6'. They fruited very well last year.
I have also put an auto sprinkler line under these to water regular.

Jim
Zone 6
Idaho

>>> "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com> 3/10/2008 5:24 AM >>>
I have a few young grape vines that are currently grown on the neighbor's
chain fence. I'm looking to add a simple trellis that will be higher than
the fence, around 4'-6'.
Are there any diagrams on the web that shows how to build a simple
trellis?

Bass Samaan
zone 6, Pa

--