nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Simple Grapevine Trellis
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:14:58 -0700

The main reason to brace the posts is to keep the wire stretched tight. On short trellises (10 feet long or less) it's possible to use 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter concrete reinforcing bar, attached to the posts, to support the vines. I built a system with wooden end posts, drilled holes, and drove the rebar through the holes. Put up a metal post at the vine and wire the rebar to it. No space used for braces because no braces are needed.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com